The Andrews government has six months to set Victoria’s first interim Emissions Reduction Targets.
We have a tight timeframe to influence the Andrews government’s decision, but we have momentum. The Emissions Reduction Targets have been our central focus in 2019, and we have plenty to show for it:
- Hundreds of supporters emailed key Cabinet ministers;
- a new ally in the Bass Coast Climate Action Network;
- over 2,500 submissions to the government;
- dozens of media stories including The Age and ABC News;
- a packed-out forum in Inverloch;
- over a dozen meetings with MPs and key advisors; and,
- hundreds of emails to the Premier since the Climate Strike.
Our campaign for Emissions Reduction Targets that keep global warming below 1.5°C comes amid an unprecedented display of community power on climate. Well over 150,000 people joined the September 20 Climate Strike led by school students.
Marches in Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat, Wonthaggi, and other towns demonstrate there’s widespread support for governments to rule out new fossil fuel projects, deliver 100 percent renewables, and ensure a fair and just transition for workers.
Here’s a quick update on our efforts over the last month...Read more