Tuesday 24 March marks the final week before the Andrews government must make its decision on the state's first Emissions Reduction Targets.
The outcome of the targets for 2025 and '30 will set the pace of climate action over the next decade. It will have major implications for how we travel, where we get our electricity, how we produce food, the level of protection for native forests, and more.
We know the Premier and Cabinet are busy leading Victoria's response to the Coronavirus crisis. But when the time comes for them to make a decision on the targets, we want it to be a quick one and the right one.
It's critically important for the Premier and Cabinet to hear from the community in the final days before the legislated deadline of the decision. We need them to hear our call for targets that help keep global warming below 1.5°C.
Will you join us in the final push?...
With people holed-up at home to flatten the curve of the pandemic, we must get creative and take out call to social media.
If you're up for it, here's the plan:
* Take a selfie with our "Lead the Drive for Less than 1.5°C" placard (or home-made version) OR get creative and spell out "<1.5°C" from wherever you are... (check out the samples below).
* Post the photo on your social media accounts between now and Friday March 27 with a message to the Premier (why do you want Victoria to show climate leadership?). BUT BEFORE YOU POST ANYTHING...
* Make sure you tag Premier Dan Andrews in your social media post. The Premier can be tagged on Facebook by using the "@" symbol and typing Dan Andrews. On Twitter and Instagram, it's @DanielAndrewsMP.
* Use the hashtags #VicTargets and #SpringSt to put the issue on the agenda of politicians and journalists across the state...
* Please also tag us so we can amplify your message via our accounts. We're Act on Climate Vic on Facebook and @ActOnClimateVic on Twitter and Instagram.
Finally, if you don't have social media and would still like to participate, email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and we'll share them from our accounts.
With the Federal government refusing to act and the summer bushfires demonstrating the consequences of failure, we need Victoria to show greater leadership on climate.
Let's rally together (while apart) on Tuesday to make sure that "<1.5°C" is front of mind when the decision is made on how Victoria responds to the climate crisis.
That's all from us for now. We hope you have all the support you need and wish you all the best as we go into lockdown.