It's crunch time for our long-standing campaign for science-based Emissions Reduction Targets in Victoria.
The Andrews government's decision is just weeks away and time is running out to make the case for keeping global warming below 1.5°C.
The summer bushfires and the impact they’ve had on communities, first responders, wildlife and the natural world has shown what’s at stake if we fail to tackle the climate crisis.
And that awareness inspired us to ramp things up in February.
Over the last month, we...
- Brought together Friends of the Earth collectives for the final push on Emissions Reduction Targets.
- Distributed a statement from Bushfire Survivors for Climate Action to MPs on the steps of Parliament.
- Briefed Labor government MPs about the need for targets to help keep global warming below 1.5C.
- Took action on the streets of Melbourne to defend the community’s hard-won moratorium on gas drilling.
- Secured statewide media attention with a human sign on the doorstep of the Premier’s electorate.
- Facilitated a meeting between the Bushfire Survivors for Climate Action and Minister Lily D’Ambrosio.
- Gave testimony to the Victorian Parliamentary inquiry into community action on climate change.
- Met with EnergyAustralia to call on them to publicly support science-based targets.
- Secured regional media with a human sign at the iconic Hepburn Wind farm.
- Held market stalls, delivered public presentations, and more.
With less than four weeks left to influence Premier Dan Andrews’ thinking on state Emissions Reduction Targets, we have to take the same level of effort to the campaign in March.
And that’s EXACTLY what we intend to do!
WEEK OF ACTION FOR VICTORIAN CLIMATE LEADERSHIP, MARCH 17-24:
Now's the time for the community to raise its voice. We're calling on all Act on Climate supporters, community climate champions, and allies in the movement to join us in a Week of Action for Victorian Climate Leadership.
We need to see actions occur all across the state to:
- Demonstrate the community's commitment to Victorian climate leadership.
- Put the Climate Blockers (fossil fuel companies, lobbyists, and boosters) on the back foot.
- Highlight the communities, wildlife, and the natural world on the frontline of climate impacts.
- Show solidarity with allies in the climate movement.
Will you step up and organise your own action?
It could be anything from a letter writing session or phoning your local MP to a banner drop or other creative action.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to register your action so we can get the word out to supporters in your area.
GET SH*T DONE: ACTION PLANNING & SKILLS SHARE, MARCH 10 & 14:
Want to join the Week of Action but don't know where to start?...
Friends of the Earth Melbourne will run a special creative action planning & skills share session for community members who want to join the final push.
Attendees will get an introduction to story-based strategy, brainstorm tactics, plan an action, learn how to secure media and document actions on social media, and more. No prior knowledge or experience needed. Just a passion for community and climate justice.
Our friends in rural and regional towns are invited to join us for an hour-long webinar on Tuesday 10 March at 6pm.
Click here to register and stand by for instructions for how to join us online.
100 LAPS FOR CLIMATE LEADERSHIP, MARCH 17:
On Tuesday 17 March, the Act on Climate collective will kick off the Week of Action by cycling 100 laps of State Parliament House, notching up over 100km travelled while towing the "<1.5°C" messaging.
The action will demonstrate the community's commitment to climate action and put the "<1.5C" message on the radar as the Andrews government makes its final decision.
Will you show your commitment by making a donation or joining the relay team for a few laps?
Friends of the Earth and the climate movement is hitting the ground running in 2020. We'd love to see you at the following events in March:
- Tues 3 Mar – A Feminist Approach to Climate Justice, Footscray
- Thurs 5 Mar – International Women's Day Rally and March, State Library
- Tues 10 Mar – Get Sh*t Done: Action Planning Webinar, online
- Fri 13 Mar – Uni Students Climate Strike, State Library
- Fri 13 Mar – March Against Murdoch: Climate Truth Now, Melbourne
- Sat 14 Mar – Get Sh*t Done: Action Planning & Skills Share, Kathleen Syme Library
- Tues 17 – Week of Action for Victorian Climate Leadership, across Victoria
- Tues 17 – 100 Laps for Climate Leadership, Parliament House
- Fri May 15 – School Strike for Climate, National #ClimateStrike 2020, Carlton Gardens
And remember, you're always welcome to join us for weekly Act on Climate meetings at Friends of the Earth, 312 Smith St in Collingwood (Mondays at 6pm).
That's all from us for now. See you on the campaign trail...